As a parent, one of the most important things you can do is keep your family home as safe as it can be.
With burglary more common now due to COVID redundancies, there has never been a better time to safe up your home, helping local businesses keep on running and keeping you safe through the day and night too.
Below are some tips to keep your home as safe as it can be at all times:
- Install a home security system: A good home security system can provide 24/7 monitoring of your home and alert you and the authorities if there is a break-in or other security breach.
- Install deadbolts on all exterior doors: Deadbolts are more secure than standard locks and can help prevent burglars from entering your home.
- Install motion-sensor lights: Motion-sensor lights can deter burglars and help you see if anyone is approaching your home.
- Keep your home well-lit: A well-lit home is less likely to be targeted by burglars, so make sure to keep your exterior lights on at night.
- Trim bushes and trees: Tall bushes and trees can provide cover for burglars, so make sure to trim them back so that they don’t block your windows or doors.
- Keep your windows locked: Windows are a common entry point for burglars, so make sure to keep them locked, especially when you’re not home.
- Have a plan for emergencies: Make sure everyone in your family knows what to do in case of a fire, natural disaster, or other emergency.
- Use timers for your lights: Timers can give the impression that someone is home, even if you’re away on vacation.
- Keep valuables out of sight: Keep expensive items out of view from windows and doors to avoid tempting burglars.
- Get to know your neighbors: Good relationships with your neighbors can help deter crime and provide an extra layer of security for your home.
Sometimes it isn’t possible to keep your home well lit, or be super prepared for a disaster, but the more you can do to prepare for these things as a parent the better, so you and your children can sleep soundly at night without fear of burglars or intruders.